Dog training is an essential part of dog ownership. It helps you teach your dog to behave properly and also makes him a better companion. However, there are certain things that you should keep in mind while training your Beagle.
There are many different types of dog training methods out there. Some are effective and others aren’t. If you want to learn how to train your beagles properly, then read on.
In this article, I am going to share with you some of the best dog training tips that will help you get started on the right foot. These are:
1) Start early – The earlier you start teaching your puppy or dog basic commands like sit, stay, down, etc., the easier it would be for them to understand what they are supposed to do. This way, when he grows up, he won’t have any problems understanding his owner’s instructions.
2) Use positive reinforcement – When you use positive reinforcement techniques, your dog learns faster than if you were using negative punishment. For example, if you tell your dog “no!” every time he tries to eat something off the floor, he might not realize why he shouldn’t touch such items. Instead, try rewarding him whenever he does something good.
3) Be consistent – Consistency is key here. Make sure that you follow through with all your lessons so that your dog understands what he has been taught. Also, make sure that you don’t give too much praise as well. Too much praise can actually confuse your dog.
4) Reward consistently – Once again, consistency plays a major role here. Don’t just reward your dog once in a while but rather always after doing something good.
5) Keep practicing – As mentioned above, consistency is very important. So, practice these skills over and over until they become second nature to your dog.
6) Teach multiple behaviors at one go – In order to effectively train your dog, you need to know which command works best with each other. Therefore, it is advisable to teach more than one behavior at a single session.
7) Give lots of attention – Dogs love attention. They thrive on being pampered by their owners. Hence, giving your dog plenty of affection and petting will only benefit both of you.
8) Have patience – Remember that dogs take longer to master new tasks compared to humans. Thus, expect a little bit of resistance from your pup before he gets used to whatever you ask him to do.
9) Always supervise – Never leave your dog unattended even for a minute. He may end up chewing everything around him including furniture.
10) Avoid harsh words – Harsh words tend to scare animals. Try to avoid saying anything mean to your dog. Instead, speak softly and calmly.
11) Take breaks – Sometimes, we feel overwhelmed by our responsibilities and forget about taking care of ourselves. But, remember that you cannot work without rest. Taking regular breaks will refresh you and allow you to focus back on your task.
12) Get enough sleep – Lack of sleep leads to fatigue, irritability, and poor decision-making abilities. All of these factors affect your ability to train your dog correctly.
13) Understand your dog’s needs – Every dog is unique and thus requires specific treatment. Before starting any kind of training program, find out whether your dog likes water, food, exercise, toys, people, loud noises, etc.
Click here to read our article about Puppy Health Care.